I, personally, have really enjoyed this class. I feel it has challenged me to be more creative in my classroom and thinking outside the box to teach multicultural education. In reflecting over my teaching for the last 3 years, I can admit that I have not been very intentional in teaching about other cultures. I can only recall Judaism being discussed in a book about the Holocaust, but beyond that, nothing was planned or purposefully created. I now have some ideas and practical skills I can apply to my classroom to help open the minds of my fairly homogenous classroom and teach them to be loving and understanding human beings. Lastly, I've even noticed some of my cultural hesitations and stereotypes have come out as I took this class. I never realized how intimidated I was by Middle Eastern cultures, and now that it's been brought to the surface, I see my personal life enriched as well--even in just simple trips to Costco! It has really been a pleasure to read all of my classmates' thoughts and ideas to incorporate multicultural education into their classrooms.
Final Question: How do you feel this class has changed your outlook and perspective on other cultures or multicultural education? Do you feel like you've had somewhat of a mindset shift? In what way?
I don't think that the class changed my mindset so much as it made me recall somethings that I had forgotten over the years. I will keep the knowledge gained at the front of my mind when dealing with others and use it to improve my teaching style.
ReplyDelete